The good, the bad and the ugly of my installs

Here we help to answer any technical questions you may have
Forum rules
Read the community rules here. Search before posting. If your question has been solved, please add [SOLVED] in the title of your topic.
Javarod

The good, the bad and the ugly of my installs

Post by Javarod » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:00 am

Ok, not sure this fits here, but not sure it fits anywhere on this forum.

So, installed this on both of my computers, and while usable, they both have issues.

Laptop•
Near perfect on this, only missing vertical scrolling on my track pad. Not the first time I've seen this, it happened to me on Manjaro Deepin, and in that case I used DconF Editor to turn it on. Unfortunately that solution doesn't work here, so I'll have to figure out where the setting is. Minor, just need to do some research.

Desktop•
Resolution is the big one here. After Kernel 4.4, my monitor's native resolution was no longer detected. Normal solution is a config file, something not normally needed. Problem here is that it ignores it. Need to figure out if I can fix this in the start file, and how. Holmes did give me info on the Manjaro forum, just need time to see if it works or not.
Need to tweak Conky, that should be easy or at least mostly having dealt with beating problems out of Harmatten which is rather more complicated. Speaking of Conky, I'm leaning to figuring out how to move them both to the left, one above the other.
Need to do something about the volume, often games in Facebook are too loud, while videos are too soft. What's the best solution for this? On Manjaro Mate volume preferences let me make settings per application.
Need to work out a better wallpaper solution, need to check what Arch Labs is using, IIRC, lightweight but more featured than Feh, just can't remember what program.

Both•
Add an equivalent to Mod4+X in OpenBox which I love and need.

I think that's everything. Nothing major, I can likely figure this stuff out m'self in time, but I'm always game for help, suggestions, pointing me in the right direction, stuff like that. Either way, having fun, very nice, I like KiboJoe as much as ArchLabs, has better community than ArchLabs, plus they're considering dropping support for their old style, whereas this seems to only be growing.

I'll keep this thread as a drop spot for any problems I might have in the future, but so far mostly good.

Holmes
Founder
Founder

Re: The good, the bad and the ugly of my installs

Post by Holmes » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:54 pm

hello @Javarod
Near perfect on this, only missing vertical scrolling on my track pad.
i did not understand!
Where is it missing? sakura terminal?
Need to work out a better wallpaper solution, need to check what Arch Labs is using, IIRC, lightweight but more featured than Feh, just can't remember what program.
i use the dimensions 1920x1080
and optimized with https://tinypng.com/
in version 18.02 i removed feh and added nitrogen and gpicview
Need to do something about the volume, often games in Facebook are too loud, while videos are too soft. What's the best solution for this? On Manjaro Mate volume preferences let me make settings per application.
the sound is okay with me
see alsamixer settings
perhaps install mate application to controlocar sound
Need to tweak Conky, that should be easy or at least mostly having dealt with beating problems out of Harmatten which is rather more complicated. Speaking of Conky, I'm leaning to figuring out how to move them both to the left, one above the other.
so conky settings are super easy
the conkys are in ~/.conky
to play right/left works with gap_x
Resolution is the big one here. After Kernel 4.4, my monitor's native resolution was no longer detected. Normal solution is a config file, something not normally needed. Problem here is that it ignores it. Need to figure out if I can fix this in the start file, and how. Holmes did give me info on the Manjaro forum, just need time to see if it works or not.
i think the solution to this is in http://bit.ly/2mpXYdZ
installs another kernel: linux413, linux414 and linux415. see if it solves the problem of resolution

thanks for the comments and we'll see if we can solve your problems
also thanks for being using Kibojoe Linux

vlw fwi, Holmes :)

Kibojoe Linux
Minimal, Fast and Elegant!

Javarod

Post by Javarod » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:05 pm

Holmes wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:54 pm
hello @Javarod
Near perfect on this, only missing vertical scrolling on my track pad.
i did not understand!
Where is it missing? sakura terminal?
All apps, system wide. It's a known issue with the laptop, often when I install a new distro scrolling is turned off for some reason, so I have to go in and turn it on. Easy on Xfce for example, little tricky on Deepin, tricky on here, have to look up where the setting is, just a matter of getting the time.
Holmes wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:54 pm
i use the dimensions 1920x1080
and optimized with https://tinypng.com/
in version 18.02 i removed feh and added nitrogen and gpicview
Nitrogen might be the program, I remember it shows all your available wallpapers regardless of location, and allows tiling, stretching etc, as well as allowing different wallpapers on each screen if that's an available feature.
the sound is okay with me
see alsamixer settings
perhaps install mate application to controlocar sound
Possibly, or maybe some other sound controller that allows more nuanced sound control. Mate was what I switched from, and IIRC Xfce also has that option. I'll have to see what my options are. Like most of the problems here, relatively easy thing to fix, though hearing how other who've faced the same problems have solved it is always good, as there's often more than one way to solve a problem on Linux.
so conky settings are super easy
the conkys are in ~/.conky
to play right/left works with gap_x
Yeah, I looked at it via the JWMConf, but it looked like it only showed on Conky, so my only real worry is that if both are set far left, they'll wind up on top of each other. The Harmatten reference was a reference to this bit of code: https://github.com/zagortenay333/Harmattan About the only positive thing I can say about that is the use of variables, something I think all Conkys should make use of for things like internet connectivity. Imagine if you had to set the wireless and wired once at the beginning of the Conky rather than the multiple places it appears. Oh and I have to set it to Fahrenheit too, since the US refuses to go metric.
i think the solution to this is in http://bit.ly/2mpXYdZ
installs another kernel: linux413, linux414 and linux415. see if it solves the problem of resolution
Ok, interesting, that gives me a few more details, but I could use a more in depth article as I've got two identical monitors (both HDMI), and if you look at my configuration file over on the Manjaro forum, there's a lot in there. The key detail is that the resolution isn't detected, so as far as XrandR is concerned, my maximum available is 1920x1080 when the one I need is 2560x1080. The CVT command detects it, and I know how to teach XrandR to use it temporarily, but the config file I use is the only permanent solution I know of.
thanks for the comments and we'll see if we can solve your problems
also thanks for being using Kibojoe Linux

No need to thank me, it's really a nice little distribution, on par with Arch Labs R2D2 which I loved, but with their new Minio (or whatever it's called), they're moving in a new direction, so here I am.

EDIT
Oh, something I'd forgotten, need to tweak window behavior, I prefer double clicking on top of the window to hide it rather than maximize. Yeah, odd behavior, one of the things I picked up from Mac, another one has to do with folder sorting, might have to put Deepin file manager in for that, but the amount of unwanted stuff that comes with that... bleah, wish PCMan had the option of tweaking that feature.

Holmes
Founder
Founder

Post by Holmes » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:57 am

hello @Javarod ,
Oh, something I'd forgotten, need to tweak window behavior, I prefer double clicking on top of the window to hide it rather than maximize.
you can also minimize.
clicking on the active window in the tray or alt + f11 (add <Key mask="A" key="F11">minimize</Key> in keys file ~/.jwm).
another one has to do with folder sorting, might have to put Deepin file manager in for that, but the amount of unwanted stuff that comes with that... bleah, wish PCMan had the option of tweaking that feature.
pcmanfm has the option "preserve this folder setting". enters the folder and in "view" and choose the option "preserve this folder setting".
No need to thank me, it's really a nice little distribution, on par with Arch Labs R2D2 which I loved, but with their new Minio (or whatever it's called), they're moving in a new direction, so here I am.
thank you mate!
but the config file I use is the only permanent solution I know of.
then put this your configuration file to start with jwm.
in the start file ~/.jwm
so my only real worry is that if both are set far left, they'll wind up on top of each other.
choose a conky only and leave the left.
it might be interesting to choose conky with system information...
or maybe some other sound controller that allows more nuanced sound control.
i'll search for another one we can use in jwm.
Nitrogen might be the program
nitrogen is better than feh, as you have some good options to use the wallpapers.
All apps, system wide. It's a known issue with the laptop, often when I install a new distro scrolling is turned off for some reason, so I have to go in and turn it on.
i'll search to see if i can find a solution...

Kibojoe Linux

Javarod

Post by Javarod » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:46 am

I'm going to be lazy and not bother with quotes this time...

Minimize, yep, know of the options, it's just that having used Macs off and on since 84, I'm used to their double click title bar=minimize. On other DEs like Xfce you can set that behavior in the Windows control panel. As we have less point and click control panels here, I just have to find the setting in the system.

Sorting, nope, this is something vary rare and uncommon. If I name a fold •Stuff, most file managers will sort it by S, likewise for )Stuff, they just ignore anything that isn't a letter or number. However, a few file managers such as Finder (Mac) and Deepin (not surprisingly) will sort symbols. I wish that PCMan either did it, or there was a hidden pref that would allow it. Might have to submit it as a feature request.

Conky, aside from breaking it, I'm thinking I might be able to shrink the system into one a touch, maybe kick the font down a size, remove a gap, things like that, and do the same for the instruction one (which I seem to have broken).

Volume control, I'm using Pulse Audio at this time, though it might be too big for the distro goals, I didn't bother to check.

Nitrogen was defintiely the program, even allows me to use different wallpapers on each screen. I use that now for the wallpapers and Viewnior for my basic image viewing.

Trackpad scrolling, I know is a setting somewhere in there, just gotta look up where it is. Prolly just boot up the guinea pig laptop which has a Deepin install on it, and see where Dconf says the setting is... once I find it, that's far from a user friendly tool, compounded by Deepin.

Holmes
Founder
Founder

Post by Holmes » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:25 pm

hello mate @Javarod
Volume control, I'm using Pulse Audio at this time, though it might be too big for the distro goals, I didn't bother to check.
with Pavucontrol you can control the sounds of the applications, for example:

in the image we have two channels Youtube songs playing at the same time...
can control the sound of each channel (increasing, decreasing or mute)!

for open Pavucontrol in terminal pavucontrol or Menu > Applications > Multimedia > PulseAudio Volume Control.

take the test... ;)

Kibojoe Linux

Javarod

Post by Javarod » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:37 am

Yep, already using it, couldn't remember ifn it was there, or I'd installed it. Ifn the latter, I figured it might've been left out because of the size. Be nice if someone made a smaller platform agnostic volume control like this, but just the application volume and nothing else.

I'll update this thread later with some more details about where we are, though we've got two new wrinkles, one is that the system spontaneously rebooted, and the second is that since that happened, I've been getting a ripple when scrolling in Chromium. Oh, and Conky is still broken.

Holmes
Founder
Founder

Post by Holmes » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:20 pm

hi,
Yep, already using it, couldn't remember ifn it was there, or I'd installed it. Ifn the latter, I figured it might've been left out because of the size. Be nice if someone made a smaller platform agnostic volume control like this, but just the application volume and nothing else.
it is installed by default and is in the Menu > Apllication > Multimedia > PulseAudio Volume Control.
one is that the system spontaneously rebooted
i can not understand these things...
here the system works perfectly!
i do not know why this is happening there with you...

Kibojoe Linux

Javarod

Post by Javarod » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:13 am

Chuckles, "Eh, most aren't problems in the strictest sense or aren't completely KiboJoe issues. The trackpad issue on the lap top for example has shown up on other distros, hence me not being worked up about it. Solving it is a little trickier here, but it's a minor issue. Volume, once again, see on other distros. Resolution, yup, other distros and sort of a known problem, X sometimes doesn't find all or the proper resolution.
Conky is sorta my fault, I was trying to adjust the location of the one with the keys and it apparently won't launch any more (got a copy of it posted somewhere? Prolly fix it just by comparing the two). The reboot is odd, the system has worked perfectly until now, so I'm mystified at the spontaneous reboot. And yep, that gives you a state of the system now, need a permanent resolution solution, mostly been too lazy to poke at the problem, need to sort out the minor DeaDBeeF issue (plays my music fine, won't use my old playlists though for some reason), set a few things up in the start up file, minor stuff like that."