Most recent update caused system to not be able to boot

Here we help to answer any technical questions you may have
Forum rules
Read the community rules here. Search before posting. If your question has been solved, please add [SOLVED] in the title of your topic.
cmul

Most recent update caused system to not be able to boot

Post by cmul » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:22 pm

Hi Everyone,

Possibly a noob question here, but is there something special that I need to do to get the most recent release of Kibojoe Linux to update to the latest packages? I tried to do a standard update through pacli on two separate machines (hardware install, not in a virtualbox), and while the updates "succeeded," the next restart would not bring up the desktop. I believe the message I received was something about Kernel panic.

Thanks for any pointers! In the mean time, I have simply reinstalled the most recent Kibojoe iso and have been having no problems at all - not updating things of course.

Thanks again for your great work, and I look forward to the continued development of Kibojoe Linux!

Sincerely,

Chad

LivingOnBrane

Re: Most Recent Update Caused System to Not Be Able To Boot

Post by LivingOnBrane » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:46 am

Confirmed. After recent manjaro updates, i was able to boot, but after few minutes i received a "Segmentation Error" and, after a forced restart, a cataclysmic Kernel Panic :D . Erased and reinstalled everything, the same error occours after updating

Holmes
Founder
Founder

Post by Holmes » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:45 pm

hi all,
in an update of Manjaro also presented problems
i remember that i gave an error with my password in lxdm and it appeared kernel panic, i do not know why this occurred
was in an old installation of the Manjaro JWM and had to reinstall

>>> in the next few days i will release an iso with the new changes i made!

vlw fwi, Holmes :)

Kibojoe Linux
Minimal, Fast and Elegant!

LivingOnBrane

Post by LivingOnBrane » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:39 am

Well, since Holmes will soon release a new iso, i do not kwnow if the results of my research might be useful at all. However, i noticed that, updating all packages but glibc, the kernel did not panic and was about to write a bug report to the package manteiner. Then i found this archlinux thread where an user was having the same problem and discovered that it was not due to glibc but to a perverse relationship between systemd and prelink. During an update, prelink mash up something in the teng-shui-INIT of systemd, and we know how much it is touchy.
Effectively, in kibojoe we are using prelink and, after having reproduced the kernel panic situation, i resolved it by unprelinking everything from LIVE system and rebuilding the init :P

Holmes
Founder
Founder

Post by Holmes » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:42 am

hi all,
yes the prelink is giving problems and i recommend removing.
in the next version i removed the prelink and we will not have more problems!

vlw fwi, Holmes :)

Kibojoe Linux
Minimal, Fast and Elegant!